I want to label Adam Leigh as reactionary. I’m not sure the label fits. But was interested by the words meaning and etymology.
1. Based on the model of French réactionnaire. Circa 1840. From réaction.
2. Of. Relating to. Or characterized by reaction. Especially against radical political or social change.
3. A person opposed to radical change.
1. From re- “again, anew” +action. Modeled on French réaction. Older Italian reattione. From Medieval Latin reactionem.
2. A reverse movement or tendency.
3. An action in a reverse direction or manner.
I have to admit. When I first heard the word reactionary. I had it in my head that it meant the exact opposite. I am not the only one. I have come across several people since who have made the same mistake.